We can help through the entire process, from Asset Map and Holding Company to Implementing a hands-on active asset management.
The Asset Map could be used as a feasibility study to gain a better understanding of the potential value and revenues generated from better management of public assets.
The City of Boston can serve as an example of how this works and is described in the IMF Finance & Development-Magazine.
Publishing a Portfolio Overview, outlining the value and yield of the total portfolio, could help create awareness and generate public support for professionalizing the management of the portfolio. Since this simple document is not formally audited, it can be finalized in a few months on the back of the Asset Map, as was done in Lithuania, Ukraine and Greece.
The Public Wealth Fund
An independent holding company at arms-length from short-term political interference, will allow government to focus on the wider economic issues by fully delegating the management of the commercial portfolio to professional management.
Active Asset Management
Implementing a hands-on active asset management will allow you to commercialize, optimize and potentially rationalize your commercial portfolio to the benefit of the whole of society.
Professional management of public Wealth - International examples
- Temasek – Singapore National Wealth Fund
MTR – Hong Kong railway operator and real estate developer
- Solidium -Finland National Wealth Fund
- Senate– Finnish government real estate holding company
- Central Huijin Investment – Chinese state-owned bank holding company
- SCIC – Vietnamese National Wealth Fund
- ÖBAG – Austrian National Wealth Fund
- BIG – Austrian government real estate holding company
- HCAP – Hellenic National Wealth Fund
- ETAD – Hellenic government real estate holding company
London Continental Railways – UK Ministry of Transport real estate development company
- The Crown Estate – UK government real estate holding company
- Hafen City Hamburg – City of Hamburg Urban Wealth Fund
- By & Havn – City of Copenhagen Urban Wealth Fund
- Vasakronan – Swedish government real estate development company
Jernhusen – Swedish Railway real estate development company
- Vasallen – Real estate development company for the Swedish Ministry of Defence
- Locum – Real estate developer for Stockholm County hospitals
- Akademiska Hus – Real estate holding company for Swedish Ministry of Education
- Stockholm Stadshus AB – Stockholm Urban Wealth Fund
“The monetization of these under-exploited real commercial public assets will likely require considerable innovation in capital markets and investment banking
Willem Buiter, Chief Economist Citi Group